Sunday, July 6, 2008

Strength From the Past

How our dependence on oil has affected our current attitudes about the state of things in the U.S. and worldwide is interesting to me. Newspapers report a broadening pessimism here and elsewhere. If you think about it, though, your ancestors, every one of them, weathered hardships in the Great Depression and other times. So while the oil companies and financial organizations do what they've always done, profiting from the times, we can, too. And we can gain the strength we need to succeed from God, giving to others, and the stories and situations our forbears suffered to raise their families, and to have meaningful lives.

4 comments:

Shirley Bahlmann said...

Now there's a new take an old, depressing subject. I really like this turn of thought, Matt. It gives me hope.

Shirley Bahlmann said...

Thanks for helping put tough times into perspective. I told Bob I want to sell my car and just ride my bike around, because I'm so disgusted with oil prices!

Forebears said...

Thanks, Shirley. Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Hope is what makes us get up in the morning and face another day.

Tristi Pinkston said...

The things our ancestors learned through their rough times are what made them who they are, and were passed down to us. Adversity, and how we handle it, makes us who we are.